As a diabetic, one thing I hate to not indulge in is pizza. I admit, I do still enjoy some here and there, but I always get thin crust. Lucky for me, I love thin crust over the doughy stuff so it’s not too much of a sacrifice.
However, I am always searching for new ways to make old favorites better and lower carb without sacrificing taste or texture. I love this Cauliflower Pizza Crust that Katie came up with for me. Cauliflower is one of the best things you can use to substitute in many recipes. I often use them in my mashed potatoes as they don’t take away too much of the great taste I love, but allow for me to enjoy my favorite side dish.
The other thing that is great about cauliflower is it is low cost, so it is perfect for those that are wanting a low carb option without having to spend a lot at the store. Cauliflower has about 30 g of carbs in an ENTIRE HEAD of it, so you can truly indulge in this pizza without worrying about a spike in your numbers.
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- 2 Cups Cauliflower Florets (Approximately 1 small head cauliflower)
- 1 Egg White
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
- ¼ Cup Grated Parmesan
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Italian Seasoning Blend (½ tsp Oregano, ½ Teaspoon Thyme, ½ Teaspoon Basil)
- 2 Teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chop cauliflower florets into ½” pieces. Place in food processor or high powered blender and pulse until cauliflower forms a powdery consistency.
- Pour into microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Pour cauliflower into cheese cloth or kitchen towel and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Place remaining cauliflower bits into medium mixing bowl. Add in cheese, seasonings and egg white. Mix well and form into dough.
- Pat out onto cookie sheet or pizza pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes on each side flipping as needed to brown evenly.
- Top with desired traditional pizza toppings. Bake an additional 7-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
Do you plan on giving this a shot? What is your favorite pizza topping? I would love to hear about it in the comments!