Ever since I started using Dr. Bronner’s Castile soap, I have tried all sorts of experiments with it. This one took me a little bit to perfect to my liking, but it was well worth it as I find it is so gentle and removes makeup so well. I have combination skin. This means my cheeks are really dry and my T-Zone (my forehead, nose and chin) are oily. Finding products that work for me is kind of a challenge.
I wear makeup most days, even if it is just some eyeliner and some eyebrow color (I have blonde eyebrows so if I don’t add a bit of color, they look non-existent). I was using store bought wipes, but as anyone knows, they are pretty expensive.
These make-up remover wipes are not only Eco-friendly, but very cheap to make. I can make 60 of them for around 50 cents. These work for anyone, but especially those of us who have combination skin types. If you have extra oily skin all over, reduce the coconut oil by 1tsp and if you have extra dry skin, add a tsp of coconut oil.
DIY Coconut-Almond Makeup Remover Wipes
To make, you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups of very hot water
- 2 tsp Dr. Bronner’s Soap in Almond scent
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil (measure when solid)
- 15 paper towels, I recommend a thicker brand
1. Melt the coconut oil until it is no longer solid in the microwave. It should only take about 30 seconds- 1 minute. Remove from microwave with a pot holder as it will get pretty hot, even in that short time.
2. While the coconut oil is melting, stack the paper towels onto each other and cut into 4ths. place them into a container that has a lid.
3. Add the Dr. Bronner’s Soap to the melted coconut oil and stir in well.
4. Add the mixture to your hot water and mix well. It is very important that you mix the ingredients well so when you pour it over the wipes and it cools, you don’t have chunks of coconut oil on top.
5. Slowly pour the mixture over the paper towels. Allow to cool and add a lid. Make sure to label it so you know what they are.
How do they work? I use one each evening and I can remove eye makeup as well as foundation really well with a quick swipe. The wipes leave my skin very soft. As with any cleanser, use care when using near eyes.