This recipe is unlike most of my other recipes. It is not carb friendly, or calorie friendly, but it is very hearty and delicious. It is especially inspired by a friend who was a roommate of mine in college that made a similar version of this. We can’t eat healthy all the time here or I would go insane. I allow myself cheats and this is one of my favorite ways to cheat! This delicious concoction started as a one dish meal that I made on the stove-top, but I changed it to be a crock pot meal to see if I could get rid of the Velveeta in it because I still am trying to eat healthier even when I make “junk”. With the summer months here, I use my crock pot a lot, so here is my version of Mac n’ Cheese that I affectionately dubbed “Cheesy Delight”.
Crock Pot Mac n’ Cheese Delight
- 2 lbs Colby Jack Cheese
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 tsp White Pepper
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Bag Frozen Asparagus
- 1 Large Ham steak
- 1½ boxes of Noodles (short ones, not spaghetti style)
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Shredded Parmesan
- 1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- 1 Sick Butter, salted
- Place your milk in the crock pot and turn it on to high heat.
- Cube up your ham steak, Colby cheese and butter. Add them to the crock pot. Add in your seasonings and allow the butter to melt and then add in the noodles.
- Give it a good mix to incorporate the noodles in well. Add in the ham steak and Parmesan cheese.
- Leave on high for 3 hours (until noodles are about half soft).
- Add in your sour cream and asparagus and fold into the noodles. Turn down the heat to low. Allow to cook for 2 more hours, checking regularly about every half hour or so to test softness of noodles.
- When noodles are soft, top with shredded sharp cheese and allow to sit in pot (turned off with lid on) for about 15 minutes until it is melted.