I have a love affair with curry. All kinds of it. I love it’s tangy, soul-food presence in many dishes. It can turn anything from bland to savory in seconds. The funny thing about curry is, while most people think of it as an Indian food, it can actually be found in just about every region of the world at some point in history. Curry is not a spice on it’s own, but rather a seasoning. I decided to make this recipe because I wanted to kick up the nutty flavor of wild rice and bring out the savory taste of the smoked sausage. It is not only a perfect comfort food, but fairly cheap as well. This meal cost me less than $10 to make for my whole family and was very simple to throw together on a busy night. I hope you enjoy my Curried Black Beans and Rice with Smoked Sausage with your family.
Curried Black Beans and Rice with Smoked Sausage
- 3 Cups of Wild Rice
- 8 Cups of water
- 1 14 Oz Smoked Sausage
- 1 Can of Black Beans
- 1/4 of Yellow Curry
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic powder
- A Pinch of White Pepper
- A Pinch of Salt
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup of chopped green onions
- Start by cooking the wild rice in a pot with the water. Wild rice must be cooked to an almost 1:3 ratio and will take about 35 minutes. Bring the rice to a boil and then reduce it to a simmer.
- When your rice is almost done, start slicing the sausage at an angle. Place it in a skillet with a tsp of olive oil. Brown it in the pan.
- Drain off the beans and rinse off the starch. Add them to your pan with the sausage and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- When the rice is done, drain off any excess water and place it in your pan with the sausage and rice.
- Sprinkle on your seasonings, one at a time and mix well. Serve with green onions on top.