Diabetics often have to miss out on sweet treats because they would put them into carb overload. Of course, you can skip carbs entirely at a meal in order to enjoy a small dessert, but if the carb in the meal is too tempting, that may be a hard choice.
With summer still more than a few months away, you may be missing it as the winter drags on. Here is a treat that will remind you of your favorite summertime sweet, Orange Cream-cicles. These cupcakes are light and airy and will delight friends and family.
How to make Diabetic Friendly Orange Cream Cupcakes:
You will need:
- A sugar free white cake mix
- 1 can of diet orange soda
- 1 jar of white sugar free frosting
- 1/2 medium orange, any type
- Orange food coloring (or red and yellow to mix)
- Sugar free orange slice candy for garnish
To make cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 325 Degrees F.
2. Forget what the box mix says for the cake and just mix only the can of soda and the dry mix. Do not add any other ingredients such as eggs or oil. Since the soda is bubbly, pour it in slowly and mix with care.
3. Bake for approximately 20 minutes in your oven. The cupcakes are done when a fork or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops are slightly brown in color. Allow to completely cool before frosting them.
To make the frosting:
1. Scoop the sugar-free frosting into a bowl. Take the juice of ONE HALF of an orange (make sure there are no seeds!) and add it to the frosting.
2. Mix until well incorporated.
3. Add 1 drop of red and 1 drop of yellow food coloring to the frosting and mix. If you have orange food coloring, add two drops, instead.
4. Frost your cupcakes. Slice a sugar-free orange slice candy in half and add it to the top for garnish.