I am a big fan of granola bars. They are the perfect snack on the go and I love that I can take one with me in my bag or in the car for a good snack that gives me energy and temporarily curbs cravings. The only problem is, the ones sold in stores are usually laden with high fructose corn syrup, preservatives and fake colors and dyes. I decided to make my own granola bar recipe that would not only be really tasty, but also full of really good stuff I could sneak in for an extra nutritional boost.
This granola bar recipe calls for a couple of ingredients you may or may not be familiar with. One is flax seeds and the other is hemp protein powder. Both of these can easily be obtained at many stores, usually health or natural ones or bought online. The reason I included these two ingredients is for nutrition’s sake.
Flax seed is something I try to throw in whenever I can to many of my dishes here at home. It tastes awesome in Asian-style recipes and delicious in pasta sauces. I am so obsessed with it because it has a good amount of magnesium which is a natural fighter of pain. I also like it because it has B vitamins as well as Omega-3 fatty acids which are great for your heart. Don’t be scared, flax seed is virtually tasteless and so tiny, you often won’t even notice it in your dishes or this granola bar recipe.
Hemp protein powder is not what you think it is. It is not going to get you high and does not contain THC, so rest easy moms. You won’t be giving your kids anything that will leave them feeling anything different. Hemp is made from the male version of the cannabis plant (the female version is what contains the THC) and is used for everything from paper, to clothing fibers and even fuel for cars. Hemp really is an amazing renewable resource. In this case, it is a powder that is amazing for digestion and your heart because it contains a healthy dose of protein, fatty acids and fiber. In this recipe, you won’t taste it at all, but it does sometimes have an earthy kind of taste.
Feel free to mess with this granola bar recipe and add nuts, other dried fruits and even chocolate chips! I hope you enjoy my recipe and make sure to share it with your friends!
Hemp-Flax Granola Bar Recipe
- 2 C. Crispy Rice Cereal
- 3½ C Oats (quick oats)
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- ½ C Raw Cane Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1½ Tbsp Flax Seed
- ⅓ C Honey
- 1 Tsp Hemp Protein Powder
- ½ Cup to 1 C Raisins
- Start by mixing the cereal, oats, raisins and flax seed together in a glass or metal bowl.
- In a pot on the stove, mix together the sugars, butter and honey over medium heat Continuously stir until everything is liquid.
- Add in the vanilla extract and stir. Add the hemp protein powder and mix in well. Remove from heat and pour over the cereal mix.
- Quickly stir in to mix well and coat all dry ingredients.
- Line a jelly roll or cookie sheet pan (with sides) with parchment paper. Pour the mixture on it and evenly spread out. Do not spread too thin. You want the bars to be about ½ an inch thick. Compact them together.
- Place a second sheet of parchment paper on top and using a cutting board or another pan, press the bars down well to make sure they are very well compacted. This is important so when they cool completely, they won't crumble apart too easily.
- Place your pan in the fridge and allow them to harden completely. Take them out of the pan in once piece and cit into bars.
More Awesome Recipes