Thank you to Hamilton Beach for sponsoring today’s tasty recipe!
When it comes to holiday food, nothing says it better than decadent chocolate goodies. One of these is Nutella (hazelnut chocolate spread). While hazelnut spread has gotten cheaper over the years, I always like to try to make as much as I can homemade as it contains no preservatives and I know what is going in my family’s bodies.
Making homemade Nutella is a process and it require patience, but it is so simple to do. I used my Hamilton Beach® Stack & Snap™ 10 Cup Food Processor to do it and it made it even easier. If you have a food processor, you probably know about the pain they can be to use. You have to line up things just right in order to use the machine and this can be very nerve-racking and is often a reason people don’t use their food processors much anymore. With the Hamilton Beach® Stack & Snap™ 10 Cup Food Processor, it only fits one way and it easily snaps in place, so making homemade hazelnut chocolate spread is a joy. Plus, I loved that it didn’t even get warm when it was running this long.
You can use homemade hazelnut spread for snacks or decadent desserts. I plan on making truffles with the spread I made here. One difference between my homemade Nutella and other recipes out there is I use coconut oil in mine rather than the often called-for canola oil. I just think it adds a great dimension of flavor to it. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Homemade Hazelnut Chocolate Spread
- 2 Cups Roasted, Unsalted Hazelnuts
- ¼ Cup melted Coconut Oil
- ¾ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 4 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Dump the hazelnuts into your Hamilton Beach® Stack & Snap™ 10 Cup Food Processor with the chopping blade attached. Snap on the lid and press the puree button. Leave it on for approximately 2 minutes. Shut off and remove lid. Your should now have finely chopped hazelnuts.
- Scrape the Sides of the bowl, then process for another 2 Minutes. It should look like wet sand at this point. Scrape the sides and process for an additional 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. It should not taste grainy at all.
- Add in your coconut oil and process for 1 minute.
- When that is fully mixed, add in the rest of your ingredients, scraping the bowl a couple more times. Process until fully mixed.
- Pour into a bowl and do a quick fold of any ingredients that are not fully incorporated. Place in a covered container (I like to use mason jars) for up to 2 months in the fridge. It will get thicker as it chills.