This classic surprise treat for Easter has been done many times, but as a diabetic, I can’t indulge in them too much because marshmallows are basically pure sugar and rice does a number on me as well. This version contains homemade sugar free “marshmallow cream”. Make sure you check out the recipe for Sugar-Free Marshmallow Cream in my previous post.
The best part about these treats is they can be molded to leave a little spot for a small surprise like jelly beans or M & M’s inside. They are perfect for school treats as well as bake sales. You can leave them plain colored or add a bit of sugar free Kool-aid to color it. I suggest getting the larger sized plastic eggs for this as it will leave more room for filling them. You can get really fancy and decorate them with licorice rope by tying strings with it or using icing to add an extra flair.
Low Sugar Easter Egg Krispy Treats
- 1 Package (10oz) Sugar Free Marshmallows or 1 Batch Homemade Sugar Free Marshmallow Creme
- 5 Cups Rice Cereal
- 1½ Tablespoons Margarine
- Fillers like jelly beans or M & Ms
- Melt marshmallows and margarine over low heat (if using homemade marshmallow simply melt margarine and mix in with homemade marshmallow crème).
- Pour mixture over rice cereal and mix until coated well.
- For egg shaped treats, spray clean plastic eggs with nonstick cooking spray. Scoop rice cereal/marshmallow mixture into each side of egg leaving a small indention in middle to place candies if desired.
- Close plastic egg and allow to set for half hour.
- Remove from egg and enjoy!
- Keep covered with plastic wrap until time to eat to prevent them from becoming stale.
Do you have any special treats you make this time of year? What is your favorite Easter candy?