It’s March and that means it’s Shamrock Shake time at McDonald’s. If you have never had a shamrock shake, it’s a mint flavored shake that is one of the most popular yearly traditions during the month of March. While it has been out in the restaurant for a week or two now, it will be gone as fast as you can blink, plus, it’s loaded with carbs. The Shamrock Shake at Mickey D’s has a walloping 111 grams of carbs in a 16 oz size. Crazy! My version has approximately 15 (give or take a carb depending on how much whipped topping you use) in a 12 oz size.
I added a bit of extra to my Shamrock Shake also. I like the taste of chocolate with mint and the regular version does not contain any so I added some chocolate extract. This will not add much in the way of anything other than flavor because the kind I bought is a natural extract sweetened with organic agave nectar.
I also used a type of ice cream that is not “sugar free” because I really hate the sugar free ice creams out there. Instead I got Carb Smart by Breyers. While it doesn’t contain any sugar, and is sweetened with Splenda, it has a better texture, I think and only 4g carbs per 1/2 cup serving.
Lower Carb Shamrock Shake Copycat Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups Breyers Carb Smart Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1/2 Cup Half n Half or Milk
- Green Food dye
- Peppermint Extract
- Chocolate extract (I used Frontier brand)
- Whipped cream
- Add ice cream to blender or smoothie machine. Pour in half n half or milk. Pulse for a few moments.
- Add 5-6 drops green food coloring, 1 tsp Chocolate extract and 1/2 tsp peppermint extract. Pulse again.
- Test for flavor add more chocolate or peppermint in small amounts until you reach the desired flavor intensity.
- Pour into a glass and top with a swirl of whipped cream.
Are you a fan of the shamrock shake? Are you surprised as I was to find out it contained that many carbs? Will you be giving my version a try?