If you have ever tasted the difference between real vanilla extract and imitation vanilla extract in recipes, you know there is a difference. It is a much richer vanilla taste and really brings depth to your recipes. Did you know it is super easy to make your own vanilla extract and costs less than buying it in the store? It is mostly a matter of waiting! Here is how I make my own vanilla extract.
Make Your Own Vanilla Extract
You will need to some vodka and some vanilla beans. It does not matter if you use expensive vodka or not as it won’t effect the favor much. I used a cheap bottle that cost me around $5. The vanilla beans were a little harder to get for a lower price as they vary widely depending on where you go. I found in my area, they cost around $2 each. I was able to find a two pack at my local Cost Plus World Market for around $3. Other than that, you bulk order (for 5 beans, just the right amount you need for this recipe!) on Amazon for cheaper. Altogether, it should cost around 10-11 dollars to make this recipe and it makes around a pint and a half. You will usually pay 2-3 times this much for this amount!
- 5-6 Whole Vanilla Beans
- 1 5th of Vodka
- Mason jar with a tight fitting lid
- Dark place to store it
- Pour your bottle of vodka into your mason jar.
- Add your vanilla beans. You can split them with a knife down the middle, but I don't think it makes much of a difference.
- Replace your lid, put a label on it and place it in a dark are where it will not be disturbed. Every week, shake the contents gently. After about 2-3 months it will be ready!
- If you use some and want to keep it going, just add a little bit more liqueur and another bean. It won't really spoil because it is mostly alcohol. It will only get richer in taste with time.