I am a certified lip balm addict! I spend a lot of money on lip balms and I am constantly testing them out, here on my blog. In fact, my very first review was for a lip balm company!
Of course I was excited when I found out I could make my own with simple ingredients available most anywhere! What I love about this do-it-yourselfer, is it is so simple and so quick and versatile. You can make it smell and taste however you want!
For this version, I tweaked a few recipes I found on Pinterest and did some flavors I wanted. First, I made an orange scented and then, my good friend, Joy, suggested a cupcake one. We did this with a bit of butter extract flavoring! Oh boy! It tastes and smells just like a cupcake!
Another awesome point to these balms, is, You KNOW what is in them, so you know they are safe and natural!
Let’s get Started!
To make your own All Natural Lip Balm you will need:
- 4 Teaspoons Beeswax
- 9 Teaspoons Coconut Oil
- Flavor or scent of your choice (oil)
- An Old mason Jar (glass) and an old small pot
- Fine cheese grater
- Measuring spoons
- Something to stir with-I used a bamboo skewer
- Containers to put your balm in
To start, I should tell you where I got most of my supplies. I got the orange essential oil and beeswax at Natural Foods market, the coconut oil from Tropical Traditions and the containers at Michaels. I made these balms for under $10.
1) Grate the Beeswax on a cutting board. You want the finest grate possible so it melts faster and more evenly. Make sure when measuring, you pack the beeswax in tightly and have a leveled measure of the coconut oil.
2) Measure out all ingredients prior to adding to the Mason Jar and set on a plate.
3) Make a double boiler by adding water to a pot about halfway and placing your glass mason jar inside the pot, being careful not to get any water into the jar. Get it to a low boil.
4) Add your pre-measured coconut oil and beeswax to the jar. Stir slowly and wait for it to mostly melt. At this point, you can add your scent or flavoring. I used about 5-6 drops of orange oil for the orange scented one and about 9-10 drops of butter oil for the cupcake one.
5) Set out your containers with the lids removed on a tray.
6) Using a potholder, carefully remove from heat when all ingredients are melted. Turn off stove. Pour carefully into containers. Make sure you fill all the way to the top. Allow to cool. Mine only took about 5 minutes to somewhat harden and about an hour to fully harden.
7) Put caps on and enjoy!
Are you going to give this a try? These make great favors at weddings and I think this would be a very fun project for an older kid’s sleepover. The beeswax will help hold in moisture and the coconut oil is amazing at softening lips!