Balms are something people have been creating for a long time. As soon as people found out about the healing properties of herbs and oils, balms were created to treat everything from dry skin to pain to wounds to promote healing and well-being. This balm is no different. I love the smell of lavender and at the end of the day, it is a soothing scent to use on your dry, cracked body parts. While I call this a heel repair stick, it really is for anywhere that you find yourself needing an extra boost in moisture such as your knees or elbows.
To make this, I used some common natural ingredients such as coconut oil, shea butter and essential oils. To make it easier to find them, I have included some links at the bottom of the page. If you have never used Shea butter, this is what it looks like. It is made from the karite tree in Africa. For this reason, you should look into if you can use it if you have a sensitivity to tree nuts. From what I read, it is tolerated well, but make sure to do your own research.
Also, while you can buy empty deodorant containers on Amazon, I used an empty on I had saved for this project since I really hate to throw things away when they are still useful. If you are reusing one like me, make sure to take care not to remove the bottom piece that pushes up the deodorant. I did this the first time and it was not pretty. Also, make sure to thoroughly clean and dry it.
I hope you enjoy making and using this healing balm!
All-Natural Lavender Heel Repair Stick
- ⅓ Cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ Cup PLUS 1½ Tbsp Beeswax, grated
- 5 Drops Vitamin E
- 3 Tbsp Shea Butter
- 2 Tbsp Dried Lavender
- 3 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- Start by placing your shea butter, beeswax and coconut oil into a glass container such as a mason jar. Fill an older small pot with about 4- 6 inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Place your glass container in the water and melt all ingredients. Your coconut oil will melt right away and then the shea butter and finally the beeswax. You should gently stir ingredients together. I use a bamboo skewer to do this.
- Remove from heat and add in essential oils, lavender and vitamin E. Gently stir to mix well.
- Pour into your empty deodorant container and allow to harden. It should take about an hour to completely harden at room temperature. Place it in the fridge if you want it to do it faster.
Some links for finding the ingredients online: