I think my deep love for all things cheese is pretty well know. I mean, take a look around my blog. 🙂
I also love making soups and sauces. I think any dish can go from blah to amazing with the rigfht kind of sauce to top it off. Being that I am diabetic, pasta is not usually a good idea, but I do occasionally cheat on my diet although I still watch my carbs, I just do it a little less strickly on those days. To be honest, it keeps me sane. I tried being extremely tight on my diet and found that it caused me to constantly sneak “bad” foods in when no one was playing the food police. I do suggest, though, that you discuss any changes you want to make with your Dr.
Onto the cheese!
This dish was inspired by an alfredo sauce I make (that I will one day post on here, I promise!) as well as a dish I really liked back home in Montana from a place I used to work at and eat at. I hope you like it! Feel free to top your pasta with the sauce alone or add in sauteed mushrooms and chicken as I did. I happen to think this would taste amazing over some steak as well!
Pasta with Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce
- 1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- ¾ Cup Romano Cheese, powder
- ½ tsp. White Pepper
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 1 Pinch of Ground Nutmeg
- For Roux:
- ½ Cup Butter, unsalted
- ½ Cup white Flour
- Start by melting the butter in the saucepan over medium heat. When it is melted, add your flour in small amounts, whisking it in. It should resemble wet sand. This is your roux (pronounced "rew").
- Slowly, pour in your whipping cream, while whisking it. You want to do this because otherwise you will end up with chunks of flour in your sauce.
- All this to come to a simmer and add your Romano cheese. Mix well until it is melted.
- Add in your Gorgonzola cheese and whisk well to incorporate it in.
- Sprinkle your white pepper, salt and ground nutmeg in. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes, keeping an eye on it so it does not scorch.
- Top your pasta with any of the topping you like (I sauteed some chicken breast and mushrooms together) and pour the sauce on. Add a sprinkling of crumbled Gorgonzola cheese to finish.