With the chill of winter already taking place in many parts of the country and snow starting to fall at higher elevations, you may be thinking about winter sports. Just like warm-weather sports, winter sports are great for exercise, but winter sports gear can get quite pricey, especially if you plan on going on a weekend ski get-away.
Following, here are some tips for saving money on winter sports gear, as well as winter get-aways:
- If you are new to a sport, rent before you buy. This will give you a chance to even find out if you like the sport to begin with or if the equipment fits right before you invest.
- Buy early-bird lift tickets and ski packages. These are most likely on sale in October and run until the major season gets going in November.
- Go skiing mid-week, rather than weekends at peak times. Many ski resorts offer mid-week specials that are at a much lower price.
- When you find that you are comfortable enough with wanting to purchase winter sports gear, consider buying from a used equipment retailer like Play It Again Sports. They will not only have lower prices, but knowledge to help you pick the right gear for you.
- Look for ski swaps in your area on Craigslist or in your local newspaper. These swaps allow people to sell or trade their used equipment with others. This is a perfect option for those with kids because they may have outgrown their last season’s gear.
- Buy online at a discount from eBay and Craigslist. Just make sure you know your size specifications before doing so to ensure a proper fit and feel.
- Don’t buy used boots for snowboards and skis. Not only might they be faulty in ways ou cannot see with the naked eye, but they have most likely been molded to someone else’s feet and will be uncomfortable.
- Wait until later in the season to buy. After Christmas sales often include sales on winter sports equipment because in just a month or so, stores will be gearing up to sell warm weather gear.
- Check out thrift store in the area for deals. However, use extreme caution. Helmets and safety gear might be ineffective as it may have already been involved in a few accidents. Also, be very diligent in checking every detail of the equipment to make sure it is not cracked, torn, or broken in any way.