Who doesn’t love marshmallows? They are great for any season from your cup of hot cocoa to around the campfire in the summer. I used to actually be obsessed with these chocolate flavored marshmallows that I could buy in the store at one point before I knew I was diabetic. This type of marshmallow is not the kind you would see in a bag in the grocery store, but is rather like a stickier version of a meringue. It is good for recipes and for mixing in your favorite hot drinks.
The best part is, it’s sugar free so it is good for those who are watching their sugar and carb intake like myself. Although I don’t like to eat too much sweet stuff, every once in a while, I can’t resist. You can find marshmallow flavoring in the cake aisle or sometimes near the spices or you can order it online for much cheaper 🙂
Sugar-Free Marshmallow Cream
- 3 Envelopes Unflavored Gelatin
- 5 Tablespoons Splenda Sugar Substitute
- 3 Egg Whites
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Cup Cold Water
- ¾ Cup Boiling Water
- ½ Teaspoon Marshmallow Flavoring (found on spice aisle)
- Mix gelatin and cold water together in small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes
- Bring ¾ cup water to boil in saucepan on stove. Add in gelatin and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes stirring until all gelatin is dissolved
- Remove from heat and allow to cool (in refrigerator) until as thick as average pancake syrup.
- Stir in Splenda, Vanilla and Marshmallow Flavoring
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add gelatin mixture into egg whites beating continuously until completely mixed and mixture is light and fluffy. Do not beat until they are dry as these will not melt down as easily as store bought marshmallows will.
Do you plan on trying this recipe out? What is your favorite way to indulge in sweets? Let me know in the comments!